Panchamukhi Hanuman Temple (Tamil Nadu)
Image credit : GurucharanAngirasa
Lord Hanuman holds a unique place among the Hindu deities. We can find many temples raised for him and by number it is next only to Lord Ganesh. The traditional Hindu believes that Lord Hanuman is living today in His identical body and when this Kalpa ends and another begins. He will be appointed by creator of the Universe. According to the Hindu faith, Hanuman and Vinayaka are two aspects of God not afflicted by Sani. There is also a belief that all the planets are under the control of Hanumans tail. Whoever worships Hanuman is granted fortitude and strength.
Image credit : gougram.org
Lord Panchamukha Anjaneya Swami was the main deity of Sri Raghavendra Swami. The place where he meditated on this five-faced form of Hanuman is now known as Panchamukhi, wherein a temple for him has been built. There is also a shrine for Panchamukha Anjaneya Swami at Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu, India. A 40 feet tall monolithic green granite Murti of Sri Panchamukha Hanuman has been installed in Thiruvallur, also in Tamil Nadu. This place was known as Rudravanam in olden times when many saints and seers had blessed this place with their presence. The Panchamukha Hanuman Ashram itself was established by a saint called Venkatesa Battar.
Every Face of Sri Panchamukha Hanuman has significance:
- Sri Hanuman faces east. He grants purity of mind and success.
- The Narasimha faces south. He grants victory and fearlessness.
- The west facing Garuda removes black magic and poisons.
- The north facing Varaha, showers prosperity, wealth.
- The Hayagriva Mukha faces the Sky. But since we cannot see it, it is usually tilted and shown above Hanumans face. Hayagriva gives Knowledge and good children.